and then blogged about it…
I went out looking for cool contact paper that had the same look and feel as my new dresser, but what I found was a bunch of shitty mostly kitchen theme prints. I wasn’t going to ruin the look of my new dresser after spending the last two week restoring it, so I decided to make my own.
I had old books in my garage (no books were harmed in the making of this DIY project) they were already water damaged and ruined. I decided they would make the perfect drawer liners.
Start by prepping the drawer, making sure it’s dust free and dry.
Have all supplies ready. Pour some of the Mod Podge onto a paper plate; I use a paper plate for easy clean up, but anything would work.
Dip foam brush into glue. Until this has been done a couple of times the brush will soak up more than it lets off.
Now it’s time to cover surface. Some of the blogs I’ve read said to just cover the whole surface at once, but I’ve found that doesn’t work as well when using small pieces of paper the paste dries too fast. I spread on a small section, then lay the paper over the paste.
After the paper needs to be smoothed out, I started by using my hand but it didn’t work as well as I’d have liked. I’ve found a plastic scraper to be the perfect tool. I quickly scrape across paper and it lays down nicely, with minimal wrinkles and bubbles.
After the paper is in position, I cover in with paste and repeat the process making sure to overlap the pieces slightly.
If this were one large paper I’d cut it first, but because I’m using small pieces I cut the paper as I go. On thin paper I simple use the edge of the scraper, but on heavier paper I use a razor blade.
Then I let it dry overnight and it’s done!!!